Wednesday, October 14

Happy Birthday to Ya!!!

5 years ago I remember sitting in a hospital room staring at the ceiling (long story) letting the word Daddy run around in my head. My Dad set a pretty high standard for loyalty and responsibility so the task was a little daunting. Actually if we're being open it was kind of scary. Someone was going to come into this world relying on me to teach them how things worked, give suggestions on what type of boy/man/person to be and demonstrate how other people should be treated. These things are the least that a parent should do for their kids, IMO. With that said I figured I would trust that God never gives you more than you can bear so I dove in. 


5 years later I realize that I know only a little more now than I did then. I have a hunch that my kids are smarter than me, but I'll keep up the charade as long as possible. I also realize that my wife is a natural at the child rearing thing. I'm a benchwarmer, a useful diversion for the children at times, jungle gym, disciplinarian and story-teller at other times. I wouldn't trade it though. Kids will humble you in ways that make you question yourself if you let them. And I'm sure that I'm better for it.


My 5 year old, KC, has been asking for a super hero party since last July. His mom being the resourceful woman that she is found some resources for mask and cape making (which we spent many hours tracing and cutting) and then proceeded to make a gluten-free chocolate cake from scratch with fresh strawberry icing and hand decorated it. Don't hate on the gluten free cake in all it's Spider-Man glory (pictured below). I found myself gnawing on my fingers to get every bit of frosting off. All in all it was the party of the century, all of the little super-tikes had a blast and he'll remember it forever.




Gluten Free Goodness





Our Brave Young Hero


His faithful sidekick.


I'm so grateful that I've been given the opportunity to guide such a loving, mature, thoughtful, artistic and dependable little boy through life. If you ever get the chance to meet him consider yourself blessed.




No comments:

Post a Comment